Other languages

Continence Aids Payments Scheme

The Continence Aids Payment Scheme (CAPS) is an Australian Government scheme that provides a payment to assist eligible people who have permanent and severe incontinence to meet some of the cost of their continence products.

Who can apply for the scheme?

A person is eligible for CAPS if they are five years of age or older and have one of the following:

  • permanent and severe loss of bladder and/or bowel function caused by an eligible neurological condition;
  • permanent and severe loss of bladder and/or bowel function caused by another condition, provided the person has a Centrelink Pensioner Concession Card, whether as a primary cardholder or a dependent of a cardholder;

A person is not eligible for CAPS if:

  • they are not an Australian citizen or a permanent Australian resident.
  • they are a high-care resident in an Australian Government funded aged care home.
  • they receive an Australian Government funded home care package and their care plan includes continence aids.
  • they are a National Disability Insurance Scheme (NDIS) recipient and their NDIS plan contains a statement that reasonable and necessary supports (that include continence aids) will be funded under the NDIS.
  • they are eligible for assistance with continence products under the Rehabilitation Appliances Program (RAP).
  • their incontinence is transient (not permanent); can be treated conservatively (e.g. pelvic floor muscle exercises), with medication or with surgery; or is confined to night time bed wetting (enuresis).
  • their incontinence results from a condition other than an eligible neurological condition AND they do not have Centrelink Pensioner Concession Card entitlement.

What about state / territory schemes?

If a person is eligible for the CAPS and is currently receiving assistance with continence (or continence related) products through a state or territory government funded scheme, they should contact their scheme manager to find out if the assistance will be affected by their eligibility for the CAPS. 

How do I apply?

Complete an application form

To apply for CAPS you need to complete an application form. This form is available on the Australian Government's Department of Health website. You may need to provide extra documents with your application – this will be explained in the application form.

If your circumstances mean you cannot complete an application form a representative may complete it on your behalf. The CAPS application form and guidelines will provide further information on the criteria.

Get your registered health professional to complete the health report component

Your registered health professional will need to provide their details and information about your condition.

Submit your application

Applications can be submitted in either of the following ways:

Post your application to:

Department of Human Services
Continence Aids Payment Scheme
Medicare Services
GPO Box 9822
Sydney NSW 2001

Fax your application to: 02 9895 3523

You can also lodge your application at a local Department of Human Services centre.

Wait for the result

If your application is approved a payment will be made to the bank account provided on your application form. If your application is rejected, you will be informed of this in writing and you can appeal the decision.

How much is the payment and how often will it be made?

CAPS clients will receive a payment which is indexed annually. The current payment is $609.70 for the financial year 2019-2020.

Clients can choose one full payment in July, or two half payments in July and January each year.

Can I authorise my payment to a representative or organisation?

Yes. A payment can be made directly into a representative's bank account (details of the relationship are required) or to a nominated organisation, which will assist the person to purchase their products.

Will the CAPS payment affect my income?

No. The CAPS payment is income tax exempt and will not be included in any Centerlink assessment as income.

Changed your address or bank details?

Report a change in circumstances, to the CAPS Team on 1800 239 309, 8.30am to 5.00pm AEST, Monday to Friday. Only the person receiving the benefit, or their nominated representative, can phone the CAPS Team to change / update details.

For further information