ON this page

Who can apply for CAPS?

CAPS eligibility

Can you claim for incontinence pads?

How do you apply for CAPS?

CAPS application form 

CAPS payment



Who can apply for CAPS Funding?

CAPS application form

A person is eligible for CAPS funding if they are five years of age or older and meets either of the following requirements:

  • a permanent and severe incontinence of bladder and/or bowel function due directly to an eligible neurological condition. See CAPS eligible neurological conditions.
  • a permanent and severe incontinence of bladder and/or bowel function caused by eligible other condition, provided the person has a Centrelink Pensioner Concession Card or a Department of Veterans’ Affairs (DVA) Pensioner Concession Card. See CAPS eligible other conditions

A person is not eligible for CAPS funding if:

  • they are not an Australian citizen or a permanent Australian resident
  • they reside in residential aged care on a permanent basis (not including respite, short-term restorative, or flexible care)
  • they receive an Australian Government funded Home Care Package and their care plan includes continence products
  • they are eligible to receive assistance with continence products under the DVA Rehabilitation Appliances Program (RAP)  which is available through DVA (please contact DVA on 1800 550 457)
  • they receive  a consumables budget from the Australian Government National Disability Insurance Scheme (NDIS) and their NDIS plan includes continence products
  • they are currently living outside Australia and have done so for a continuous period of three years
  • their incontinence is one of the following types:
    o    transient (not permanent)
    o    can be treated with an existing conservative treatment regime (e.g. pelvic floor muscle exercises or bladder re-training), medication or surgery
    o    confined to night time bed wetting (nocturnal enuresis)
  • their incontinence results from a condition other than an eligible neurological condition AND they do not have Centrelink or DVA Pensioner Concession Card entitlement
  • They are serving a prison sentence.

If a person is eligible for the CAPS funding and is currently receiving assistance with continence (or continence related) products through a state or territory government funded continence scheme, they should contact their state or territory scheme manager to find out if the assistance will be affected by their eligibility for the CAPS.


Can you claim for incontinence pads?

Incontinence pads may be covered by the CAPS payment for eligible persons. Please see above section on Who can apply for CAPS

HOW Do you apply for CAPS ?

To apply for CAPS you need to complete an application form available on the Australian Government's Department of Health and Aged Care website. If you are searching for the Continence Aids Payment Scheme form please use the link above. 

CAPS application form 

You may need to provide extra documents with your application – this will be explained in the application form.

If your circumstances mean you cannot complete an application form your representative may complete it or you. The CAPS application form and guidelines will provide further information on this.

Get your registered health professional to complete Section 3 - Health Report Component

Your registered health professional will need to provide their details and information about your condition including checking that you have an eligible condition.

Submit your application

Applications can be submitted in either of the following ways:

Post your application to:

Department of Health and Aged Care
Continence Aids Payment Scheme
Medicare Services
GPO Box 9822
Sydney NSW 2001

Fax your application to: 02 9895 3523

If fax or post are not available, a scanned copy can be sent via email. Please note there may be risks with sending personal information through unsecured networks or email channels. Email: [email protected]

Continence Aids Payment Scheme contact number: 

The National Continence Helpline can help with any questions you have about CAPS, including eligibility for CAPS and how to apply for CAPS plus information on continence funding schemes throughout Australia:

1800 33 00 66

Australian Government Continence Aids Payment Scheme (CAPS) team

Call the CAPS Information Team to report a change in your circumstances, if you want to check the status of your application or if you have questions about CAPS payments. The CAPS Team is part of Services Australia and operates from 8.30am to 5pm (AEST) Monday to Friday.

1800 239 309

Wait for the result

If your application is approved a payment will be made to the bank account you provided on your application form. If your application is rejected, you will be informed of this in writing and you can appeal the decision.


CAPS Payment

Questions about CAPS payments

The CAPS payment rate for 2023–24 is $676.50 The payment may increase or decrease each year following the Government’s budget process.  Payments are either made once a year, sometime in July, or twice a year in a split payment, sometime in July and January.  You can choose if you want once or twice yearly payments.

Yes. A payment can be made directly into a representative's bank account (details of the relationship are required) or to a nominated organisation, who may assist you to purchase your continence products.

No. The CAPS payment is income tax exempt and will not be included in any Centrelink assessment as income.

Report a change in circumstances, to the CAPS Information Team on 1800 239 309, 8.30am to 5.00pm AEST, Monday to Friday. Only the person receiving CAPS, or their nominated representative, can speak to the CAPS Information Team to change / update / check on details.  Have your Medicare number with you if you call.


Last Updated: Wed 07, Feb 2024
Last Reviewed: Sun 29, Mar 2020