Who can apply for the scheme?

If the applicant is an entitled veteran or war widow(er), support under this scheme can be accessed if they:

  • hold a Gold Card
  • hold a White Card and the incontinence is a result of a specific accepted condition (to determine eligibility contact the Rehabilitation Appliances Program at DVA on 1800 550 457 or email [email protected])
  • have been assessed by a suitably qualified health professional as requiring continence products for a clinical need and determined which are the most suitable products.

Gold and White Card holders are not eligible if they are residents in a residential aged care facility except in exceptional circumstances.


How to apply

A Continence Products Direct Order Form needs to be filled out by the assessing health professional. It is then sent to an authorised product supplier on behalf of the applicant. The Direct Order Form needs to be completed every 2 years or if there is a change in continence products following a thorough assessment by a health professional.


The National Continence Helpline can help with any questions you have about DVA RAP Continence Products, including how to apply and continence products available through RAP:

1800 33 00 61

Contact DVA: 

If you have any questions regarding the DVA RAP including for continence products:

1800 VETERAN (1800 838 372)

For all enquires in regards to continence products and supply arrangements please contact:

National Continence Contract Team
Department of Veterans' Affairs
GPO Box 1652
(199 Grenfell St)
Adelaide SA 5001
Phone: 1300 131 945


Last Updated: Thu 30, May 2024
Last Reviewed: Sun 29, Mar 2020