The National Continence Helpline (1800 33 00 66) is a free telephone service that offers confidential information, advice and support.
The National Continence Helpline (1800 33 00 66) is staffed by Nurse Continence Specialists who offer free and confidential information, advice and support to people affected by incontinence. They also provide a wide range of continence resources and information on local continence services.
The Helpline is available to anyone living in Australia and is funded by the Australian Government Department of Health. It operates 8am-8pm (AEST) Monday to Friday excluding national public holidays.
Telephone interpreter service
If you need an interpreter, please call the National Continence Helpline on 1800 022 222 and an interpreter will be organised for you. Otherwise, call TIS National on 131 450 and ask them to call Continence Foundation of Australia on 1800 022 222. Our business hours are 8.00am-8.00pm AEST.
You can also visit the TIS National website for translated information about the service TIS National provides. Visit: www.tisnational.gov.au
Telephone interpreter services are provided free of charge to you.
What topics does the helpline cover?
Common topics covered on the Helpline include:
prevention and management of bladder and or bowel problems
- women – pregnancy, childbirth, prolapse and menopause
- men – prostate, after dribble
- children – toilet training, bedwetting, day wetting, soiling
- chronic conditions such as diabetes, dementia and Parkinson’s Disease
- funding schemes including CAPS and NDIS
- continence product advice.
What INformation is available?
The Helpline provides information about:
- assessment and diagnosis of incontinence
- treatment options
- management - including product information and advice
- information about funding schemes to assist people with the costs of continence products such as the Australian Government's Continence Aids Payment Scheme
- details of local continence service providers, product suppliers and manufacturers
- access to a wide range of free information brochures and booklets, including brochures in languages other than English.
Out of hours help
You can phone the National Continence Helpline between the hours of 8am and 8pm (AEST). Out of these hours, please contact:
- ACT, NSW, NT, SA and WA: After Hours GP helpline on 1800 022 222.
- VIC: NURSE-ON-CALL on 1300 60 60 24 for free health advice, from registered nurse, 24 hours a day.
- QLD: 13HEALTH on (13 43 25 84) for free health advice from a registered nurse, 24 hours a day.
- TAS: GP Assist on 1300 780 011 for access to after-hours GP phone advice.