Other languages

Forum home Register Login

Search the forum:  

Reliable containment of urine

Number of views of this thread: 242

Return to Living with incontinence forum

Robert

Is there any objective data collected anywhere, preferably by a credible independent body that rates products  in terms of their reliability in terms of not leaking.  I am steadily advancing through various pads available from my NHS provider; at each point there has to be a detailed assessment Bladder diary and a questionnaire with some weird questions - What does your poo look like?  etc etc to provide evidence for making a change to the pad I am being supplied with. I just want something that I can very confidently rely on at work as an active male and without numerous layers! - I teach. I am starting to wonder if the truth may be that all these products are significantly liable to leak. It seems to me that the closest consideration that is given in terms of a rating is how absorbant various pads are by  the droplet ratings on the package , but this is not the same as rating the secure containment of urine. I am currently using pads with a high rating in droplets ie very absorbent, but still getting numerous leaks and in the workplace, even 95 out of 100 in terms of reliability still means a disaster not too far away. Presumably, it would be easy to set up a fair standardised  leak test protocol with an automaton to simulate walking, sitting, flexing and peeing with various flow rates and penile position.  Surely it would be a great help rather than having to personally assess them and discover by trial and error.           

Jack

hi Robert,

I agree, the rating of absorption for incontinence pads is highly unreliable and varies from brand to brand.Even the rated capacity in litre does not indicate much as it is always so far from the reality. As a rule of thumb I have worked out that the rated capacity is about twice the working capacity (the reality test) but it is not 100% guarranty and unfortunatly, like for many other things, you pay for what you get. I have been wearing incontinence briefs for most of my life and one things I am sure about is that I rather have the highest most absorbent pad available to avoid leaks, even if it means a rather bulky product. Truth to the matter is that no one is likely to notice and even if they did they would be in a similar condition or well verse with the problem and would not create issues. I have never been in a situation where I was confronted or embarrassed at work and like you I work as teacher. I would simply consider pleated trouser (double pleated are best) as flat front are obviously much tighter fit. I have found that plastic backed nappies work best for me as they fit best and thus are least likely to leak, at least that is true for me. You should try products from downundercare, I have found that the rearz inspired + incontrol work best for me, but depending on your idiosyncratic body shape the results may vary so If these do not entirely satify you, then try another of their product.

I hope this help.

Kind regards

Jack

Reply to this thread

Return to Living with incontinence forum