Other languages

Forum home Register Login

Search the forum:  

Faulty product? What do I do? Do I have any rights?

Number of views of this thread: 81

Return to Catheters forum

O42P

Hi all
Just wondering how many of you have had a problem when doing IC and the catheter damages you and you end up with bloody tissue on/in it. I recently had this problem - twice with the same brand and never by another brand. I contacted the very large company I purchased them from to advise them. Their response was the catheter was not suitable for me. It problem brand was initially purchased on their advice however I now know by someone who wasn't 'qualified' to do so. (The size was recommended by the hospital staff). When asked what I wanted from them I suggested a replacement for the two that had already caused damage and replace the two I had left. I had purchased 10 in total being new to this at the time...Their response was they wouldn't do that - apparently given so many people don't have a problem with this product - or maybe don't report it. I did mention to them that I wasn't the only person having problems with this particular product as a continence nurse had since asked me my experience with it. At the time I thought it must have been technique as it had only happened once. However I now know this particular catheter is known to them to be a problem. They have told the suppliers of the product. I then contacted the supplier about the problem and they are kindly replacing the 4 catheters with something else. So do I have 'to suck it up princess' if it happens in the future? I find it distressing enough having to do it without using faulty products. Guess damaging the bladder or urethra can't be good for it either. Any way just sharing an unhappy experience...

Yazzie

Dear O42P,
Welcome to the forum and thank you for your post.
Good on you for going back to the supplier and then the manufacturer to get a response from them. I’m glad you had success with the manufacturer and may I say if you were not happy with the suppliers response maybe try a new supplier.
As with any product we purchase, we do have protection from Consumers Affairs to make a formal complaint to. So this may be an avenue for you to pursue. You can contact Consumers Affairs at the link below.
http://www.australia.gov.au/help-and-contact/faqs/consumer-complaints-and-queries
Also as with any product that can affect the body, the Therapeutic Goods Administration (TGA) can be contacted about the product and inform them that the product did cause you harm. You can contact them on the link below.
https://www.tga.gov.au/reporting-problems
I hope your products are now not doing any damage and that all is good.
Cheers
Yazzie

O42P

Thanks Yazzie... It was nice the company supplying the product to the retail company sent me a few replacements. Unfortunately they also included the ones that do the damage ???? - after me having told them the product code etc!

B  

Reply to this thread

Return to Catheters forum