Other languages

Forum home Register Login

Search the forum:  

Advice

Number of views of this thread: 308

Return to Living with incontinence forum

Lizard

I am seeking advice having just read the ABC article about not running if you leak urine a little.

My situation (at 50 after a twin pregnancy at 35) is that I leak a little when running fast (I can jog slower for miles with no problem), when skipping rope (after about 80 jumps fast) and jumping on a trampoline (varies and I haven't done it recently!).

I do pelvic floor exercises (although these are sporadic and I'm never sure I'm doing them right); and often notice improvement in urine control after a few weeks where I run hard once a week (and put up with leaking a little). And it also improves when I am active in other ways using core etc.

Always worse after too much tea!

But the article got me worried about whether I'm setting myself up for prolapse or problems down the track.

Can you advise? Or suggest whether I need to get help?

Thanks

Yazzie

Dear Lizard,
Welcome to the forum and thank you for your post and informing me of where you heard the information. I have just listened to Life Matters on ABC radio that was on Wednesday. As stated on the show, a little bit of urine leakage is not normal and you should seek help to have this investigated more.

Lizard you have stated that your leakage is worse when you drink too much tea. Caffeine is a known bladder and bowel irritant. May I suggest you change to low caffeine or caffeine free tea? This simple change may help your leakage and there are various brands available at the supermarket to try.

It’s great that you are doing your Pelvic Floor Muscle Exercises (PFME), however it is know that 30% of people doing them are indeed doing them incorrectly. I suggest that you give the National Continence Helpline (NCHL) a call on 1800 33 00 66 and speak to one of the Continence Nurse Advisors whom can confidentially discuss your needs and can refer you to a Continence Physiotherapist in your area.

Cheers
Yazzie

happy

Dear Lizzard, Dear Yazzie,

OK, I am a 49 yo male struggling with urge incontinence and also very active. I run, climb, windsurf, boot camp, ... every day. As such, I thought I might share this for encouragement :-)

Those Kegel exercises work indeed but it takes a while, please be patient! Bladder calming techniques are great but I believe that is specific for urge.

If I want to enjoy a coffee, tea or fizzy drink I need to be near the toilet otherwise it really is a no go for me.

In order to do sport (every day), I go to the toilet twice to make sure I am on empty to start :-) When I go surfing or less than 30 min run, no problem. When I go for longer, I simply have a toilet stop every 30-40 minutes for peace of mind. When I go for longer, somewhere I don't know where the toilets are, I use a light Tena or Molicare pull up (invisible under training shorts) for peace of mind and try to find a toilet every 30 minutes of exercise or so. If I didn't manage to find a toilet in time, it is not the end of the world but I do go home as these pull ups get bulky.

Just the fact that I know I can get away with 1 accident gives me the confidence to get out there, be active and enjoy myself a lot.

I do the same when I travel on the plane ( I fly a lot) and as Mint says, I never had any issues at all with security checks, even with body scanners overseas. I am sure they must see this all the time.

Hope this is helpful,

Happy  

Reply to this thread

Return to Living with incontinence forum